Generally, air ducts need to be cleaned every three to five years according to the National Air Duct Cleaners Association
. Dependent on a lot of factors—like your home’s location, if you have pets, and how frequently your air filter has been swapped out, to name some—you may adjust your air duct cleaning
more or less frequently. So, how can you know for sure when it’s time to have your ducts cleaned? There are absolutely some revealing signs when it’s time.
Look for these clues:
- Are your cold air returns caked with dust or pet hair?
- Is there an obstruction in your cold air return vent?
- Are your registers carrying out dust?
- When you gaze inside with a flashlight, can you see an accumulation of debris or pet fur?
- Have insects or rodents found shelter in your ductwork?
- Can you hear sound other than your blower motor when you listen to the airflow?
- When your vents are fully opened, do any have less airflow than others?
If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, it’s more than likely time to ask Allstar Heating & Air Conditioning in Buellton about air duct cleaning.
Prolonging Time Between Air Duct Cleaning
There are a few things you can do to help keep your ducts cleaner and extend the amount of time between professional cleanings.
Mostly importantly, setup regular HVAC maintenance with the experts at Allstar Heating & Air Conditioning. A service of your furnace each fall and your AC each spring, which should consist of inspection, and prospective replacement, of your air filter, will help keep your HVAC system operating well, and may help keep your ducts clean.
You can also chat with the team at Allstar Heating & Air Conditioning about installing an air purification system. We offer the Lennox PureAir Air Purification System, Healthy Climate Carbon Clean 16 Media Air Cleaner, Healthy Climate 11 Media Air Cleaner, Healthy Climate High-Efficiency Particulate Air (HEPA) Filtration System and Healthy Climate UV Germicidal Lights.
Other measures you can take include:
- Frequently dusting and vacuuming your home.
- Inspecting your air filters habitually and replacing them when the manufacturer recommends replacing them. Most filters will show dust on them after a short period in service, but they may not require replacement.
- Sealing leaks in air ducts that let dust to move in from areas like your attic.
- Replacing poor or damaged air-duct insulation.
With a professional air duct cleaning and some proactive measures, you can help keep the air in your Buellton home clean and healthy. Give the professionals at Allstar Heating & Air Conditioning a call at 805-242-9638.